Friday, May 16, 2008

Mt. Hood Day 2

I have no idea how today went, but it was a lot of fun. I never imagined a time trial would be fun, but it was a blast. It had a fair amount of climbing, but that just means it had a bunch of really fast downhill sections with some tight turns. And then there's the narrow, downhill tunnel that scares the hell out of you as you blast through it at 35mph.

I started last of the Cat 3s, with the same time as 2nd place and 11 seconds up on 3rd. I ended up catching 4 guys, including the 2nd place rider. Hopefully I was fast enough to hold onto the lead, but I won't be too upset if I didn't. It's already been a great race and I'm having a lot of fun.

Tomorrow is 75 miles with 7,000 feet of climbing. The last two miles of the stage climb up to Mt. Hood Meadows, with a grade that allegedly averages 10%. That's steep enough and long enough to yield some pretty big gaps, so that's where the race will happen. We just have to ride 73 miles first and climb several thousand feet before we get there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big gaps to your competition right?