Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mt. Hood Day 1

Today was a weird day. I had come up with 57 different reasons why I'd get destroyed. I had my "wow, that guy looks fast" skills cranked up to 11. The first time up the climb hurt like hell. The first time down the hill saw me off in the gravel at 35mph and sliding out on a decreasing radius turn.

Then the race got easier.

And by the time it got hard again, I was 1k from the finish and where I needed to be. I didn't achieve my pie in the sky goal of top three in the overall race with the Cat 2s (although I did finish top 10), but I played the final 200m fairly well and ended up fastest among the slower. Now I get a cool yellow jersey and can call the event a success after the first day.

But I guess I can't bitch about not being a climber anymore. At least I have tomorrow to teach me that I'm not a time trialist.

No comments: