Saturday, November 8, 2008

Nationals practice

It was mid-40s and pouring rain today, so I figured it was a perfect day for a 3-hour ride. It wasn't quite cold enough to really prepare me for nationals, so I forgot my rear fender and didn't wear enough clothes. I'm still hungry, 8 hours after getting home.

If you know where you are, but where you are is about 5 miles southwest (as the crow flies; 10 miles by road) of where you thought you were going to be, does that count as being lost? If you have to draw a map in the dirt to figure out how the hell you got there and which way you should turn to get not there, and the map helps you figure it out, does that make you more or less lost?

The roads here don't make much sense. Rather than following water courses or ridgelines, they just wander in and out of the hills. Those hills are old wind-blown dunes, and were formed according to the whims of a 10,000 year wind. When it's raining and you can't see the mountains, it's a bit hard to know where you're going and where you've been. Of course, had I remembered to turn on my brain, I would have noticed that I was riding further into the hills rather than gradually finding the trees and mountains where I thought I was headed.

But now I know where that road goes.

No comments: