Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Knowing the competition

The hardest part about entering a new race scene is figuring out where I fit in. In Wisconsin, I knew who I would race with, who would be up the road, and when I should be surprised. But now I have no idea if that guy riding away from me is the single speed world champ or the champion of the Baraboo Tuesday ride.

But god bless the internet. The guy who beat me on Sunday by 11 minutes is a former pro roadie who raced with Prime Alliance. Another guy in the race was the semi-pro national champion in both the XC and short track in 2006. And the guy who flatted early, then blew by me late, raced 'cross worlds as a junior (finishing 22nd, 2:45 back -- the year Walker Ferguson won the silver).

Edit: I shouldn't be so elitist. The guy who finished just ahead of me -- who is 45 years old -- just won his category at Sea Otter with the second fastest Expert time overall. He would have been 9th in the Semi-Pro and 44th in the Pro (out of 71 finishers) and just ahead of Ryan Trebon.

So at least it's a bit faster than the Tuesday ride in Baraboo, if not by much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

why you hatin' on Baraboo. I'm hoping to get back to some Tuesday evening rides.